B-finder is multi-tool for wind farm monitoring
posted on November 26, 2020
A smartphone is great device, because of the number of functionalities they have in one place. The primary function – phone calls – is just one of many other, which diversity and multiplicity are excellent.
The primary function of B-finder system is automatic bats and birds collision monitoring on wind turbines. B-finder technology based on 360° thermal video and video monitoring enables much more than the primary application. B-finder is multi-tool for detection and tracking of different phenomena. In separate chapters you can read about added features of B-finder system useful in:
- agriculture, forestry, wildlife management;
- fire department and rescue operation;
- science and weather monitoring.
Today I’d like to present you some added features of B-finder system useful for wind farm operators and environmental monitoring regulators. Here we go.
Added features for wind turbine operator
B-finder helps wind operators to keep an eye on the wind farm area day and night. B-finder system as multi-sensor device gives the ability of detection, tracking and verification of different events on the wind farm, for example:
- fire detection on the wind farm;
- fire detection on the wind turbine;
- ice falling by rotor operation;
- presence of people;
- thunder strikes;
- vehicles movement;
- vessels and ships movement offshore;
- waving offshore;
- wind turbine rotor speed;
- wind turbine blade tip inspection.
Movie 1. A piece of ice falling down from the tip of the wind rotor blade. This picture is a sample raw picture from only one of B-finder system sensors covered 360° around wind turbine tower.
Added features for environmental monitoring
Bats and birds mortality monitoring is the primary issue of B-finder system, but not the only one. The 3 rings of 360° thermal video and video monitoring used in B-finder system give the ability of detection, and tracking bats, birds and other animals in wind turbine surroundings 24h, for example:
- altitude of bats activity;
- altitude of birds activity;
- altitude of insects activity on the wind turbine tower;
- correlation between bats activity/mortality and insects activity on the wind turbine tower;
- correlation between bats activity and weather conditions;
- correlation between birds mortality and weather conditions;
- mammals detection and tracking on the ground;
- scavenger activity on the ground;
- time of bats activity;
- time of birds activity;
- time of insects activity on the wind turbine tower;
- whale detection offshore.
Movie 2. Fox in the field. The monitoring of scavenger activity can support the bats and birds mortality monitoring as well give answers for scientific questions. This picture is a sample raw picture from only one of B-finder system sensors covered 360° around wind turbine tower.